In fact, through our Community Service Program, 100% of our employees volunteer with local non-profit and charitable organizations, including teaching financial literacy classes at local schools. We've also created partnerships with Special Olympics Nevada, University of Nevada Wolf Pack Bands, and Truckee Meadows Habitat for Humanity.
Greater Giving - Thank you to everyone who donated to help local families in need!
Food… and toys… and clothing — oh my! Greater Nevada teamed up with KTVN Channel 2 News to collect 3,501 items of much-needed donations to help northern and eastern Nevadan families for the Share Your Christmas Drive-By Food Drive. Danny DeLaRosa, GNCU's CDO, and other employees joined Channel 2 News on December 13 to drop off Reno/Sparks donations and volunteer time to collect other drive up donations that morning (starting at 8:30 in the video below).
Charities donated to by branch location.
- Reno & Sparks Branches: Collecting food for the Food Bank of Northern Nevada and new toys for Toys for Tots.
- Minden Branch: Collecting food for Carson Valley Community Food Closet.
- Carson City Eagle Station Branch: Collecting toys & food for Advocates to End Domestic Violence.
- North Carson City Branch: Collecting food for Friends in Service Helping (FISH).
- Dayton Branch: Collecting food for Ron Wood Family Resource Center.
- Fernley Branch: Collecting food for Food Bank of Northern Nevada and new toys for Toys for Tots.
- Elko Branch: Collecting food for Harbor House (Committee Against Domestic Violence).
- Ely Branch: Collecting food, toys and clothing for Boys & Girls Club of Truckee Meadows – Ely location.
- Wendover Branch: Collecting toys, shoes and coats for Santa's Helpers and the West Wendover Fire Department.
Join Us at Upcoming Wolf Pack Sporting Events
Greater Nevada will have a booth set up at the Wolf Pack Football & Men's Basketball home games to raise money the University of Nevada, Reno Marching Band. If you're at the games, be sure to stop by our booth to spin our prize wheel and donate to the band!
Supporting Our Local Special Olympics Athletes
Greater Nevada Credit Union supports our local Special Olympics athletes year round at various events. Each March, we commit to taking the plunge in South Lake Tahoe for the Annual Special Olympics Northern Nevada Polar Plunge, a fundraising event benefiting the athletes.
During the summer, Greater Nevada volunteers help out at the Special Olympics Nevada Summer Games, where hundreds of athletes compete in track and field, swimming and other events.
In November, Greater Nevada Credit Union participates in the Bowl for the Gold event at Reno’s National Bowling Stadium, where Greater Nevada employees form fundraising bowling teams and volunteer to assist the Special Olympics athletes during their games.
For more information about Special Olympics of Nevada and to learn how you can get involved, visit sonv.org.
Providing Homes for Nevadans
Greater Nevada is a proud supporter of Truckee Meadows Habitat for Humanity. Throughout the year we participate in events, such as the annual Play House Build-a-Thon and various build sites, that help provide housing related resources for people and their communities.
Teaching Financial Education
At Greater Nevada we believe knowledge is power. Our financial education programs focus on helping kids, teens and adults learn money management skills for a brighter financial future. Some of our more recent projects and classes include:
- Developing financial education videos with students from our Carson High School Education branch.
- Teaching the basics of household budgeting and financial decisions for everyday living through Bite of Reality programs taught at various northern Nevada high schools.
- Helping Junior Achievement deliver programs to local schools and students to foster work-readiness, entrepreneurship and financial literacy skills.
- Providing financial education to college students so they can better understand and manage debt as they pursue their education and ultimately enter the workforce.