In fact, through our Community Service Program, 100% of our employees volunteer with local non-profit and charitable organizations, including teaching financial literacy classes at local schools. We've also created partnerships with Special Olympics Nevada, University of Nevada Wolf Pack Marching Band, and Truckee Meadows Habitat for Humanity.
Greater Giving - Donate Through December 12 for the Share Your Christmas Drive-By Food Drive
Food… and toys… and clothing — oh my! Greater Nevada is teaming up with KTVN Channel 2 News to collect much-needed donations through Thursday, December 12, to help northern and eastern Nevadan families.
Branch Donation Collection & Benefiting Organization
Click here to view a map for all branch locations.
- Reno & Sparks Branches: Collecting food for the Food Bank of Northern Nevada and new toys for Toys for Tots.
- Minden Branch: Collecting food for Carson Valley Community Food Closet.
- Carson City Eagle Station Branch: Collecting toys & food for Advocates to End Domestic Violence.
- North Carson City Branch: Collecting food for Friends in Service Helping (FISH).
- Dayton Branch: Collecting food for Ron Wood Family Resource Center.
- Fernley Branch: Collecting food for Food Bank of Northern Nevada and new toys for Toys for Tots.
- Elko Branch: Collecting food for Harbor House (Committee Against Domestic Violence).
- Ely Branch: Collecting food, toys and clothing for Boys & Girls Club of Truckee Meadows – Ely location.
- Wendover Branch: Collecting toys, shoes and coats for Santa's Helpers and the West Wendover Fire Department.
Hot Chocolate and Donation Days
Greater Nevada's Mobile Branch will be making stops over the next coming weeks to hand out complimentary hot chocolate and other Greater Nevada goodies to the public who drop off donations. See below for the scheduled date and locations, and please join us at the location most convenient for you!
Click here to view a map for all branch locations.
- 9:00 AM - Spanish Springs Greater Nevada Credit Union Branch
- 11:00 AM - South Reno Greater Nevada Credit Union Branch
- 2:00 PM - Carson City Eagle Station Greater Nevada Credit Union Branch
- 9:00 AM - Dayton Greater Nevada Credit Union Branch
- 11:00 AM - North Carson City Greater Nevada Credit Union Branch
- 2:00 PM - Minden Greater Nevada Credit Union Branch
Most Needed Nonperishable Food Items
Please be sure to check expiration dates before donating.
- Canned Meals: Stews, Soups, Spaghetti/Ravioli (Low-Sodium Preferred)
- Protein: Peanut Butter, Tuna, Salmon, Chicken, Dried or Canned Beans
- Grains: Whole Grain Cereal, Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Whole Grain Pasta
- Fruits: Canned (Packed in 100% Juice or Light Syrup), Dried Fruit, Applesauce (No Sugar Added), 100% Fruit Juice Boxes
- Vegetables: Canned (No Salt Added and/or Low-Sodium Preferred)
- Dairy: Shelf-stable Milk
- Kid-friendly Snacks: Granola Bars, Popcorn, Animal Crackers, Graham Crackers
- Baby Products: Formula, Infant Cereal, Baby Food
Join Us at Upcoming Wolf Pack Sporting Events
Greater Nevada will have a booth set up at the Wolf Pack Football & Men's Basketball home games to raise money the University of Nevada, Reno Marching Band. If you're at the games, be sure to stop by our booth to spin our prize wheel and donate to the band!
Supporting Our Local Special Olympics Athletes
Greater Nevada Credit Union supports our local Special Olympics athletes year round at various events. Each March, we commit to taking the plunge in South Lake Tahoe for the Annual Special Olympics Northern Nevada Polar Plunge, a fundraising event benefiting the athletes.
During the summer, Greater Nevada volunteers help out at the Special Olympics Nevada Summer Games, where hundreds of athletes compete in track and field, swimming and other events.
In November, Greater Nevada Credit Union participates in the Bowl for the Gold event at Reno’s National Bowling Stadium, where Greater Nevada employees form fundraising bowling teams and volunteer to assist the Special Olympics athletes during their games.
For more information about Special Olympics of Nevada and to learn how you can get involved, visit sonv.org.
Providing Homes for Nevadans
Greater Nevada is a proud supporter of Truckee Meadows Habitat for Humanity. Throughout the year we participate in events, such as the annual Play House Build-a-Thon and various build sites, that help provide housing related resources for people and their communities.
Teaching Financial Education
At Greater Nevada we believe knowledge is power. Our financial education programs focus on helping kids, teens and adults learn money management skills for a brighter financial future. Some of our more recent projects and classes include:
- Developing financial education videos with students from our Carson High School Education branch.
- Teaching the basics of household budgeting and financial decisions for everyday living through Bite of Reality programs taught at various northern Nevada high schools.
- Helping Junior Achievement deliver programs to local schools and students to foster work-readiness, entrepreneurship and financial literacy skills.
- Providing financial education to college students so they can better understand and manage debt as they pursue their education and ultimately enter the workforce.