From extended service hours through our branches, shared branches, ATMs, ITMs and phone center to 24/7 digital access through our online and mobile banking applications, your credit union is here to serve you however, whenever and wherever you choose.
Inside this issue you’ll find useful tips and resources to ensure that you’re taking full advantage of your membership and the latest products, services and features to help you live greater!
Now Open: New Fernley Branch!
We opened our newest branch this September in Fernley, at the corner of East Newlands and Stanley Dr. East. The branch features a local member services team, video lending capability, a drive-up Interactive Teller Machine (ITM) and a 24/7 banking vestibule with an ITM and coin-counting machine – securely accessible by simply swiping your GNCU Visa® debit card to gain after-hours entry.
Learn More About Our Fernley Branch
FROM THE PRESIDENT
In past newsletters I have had the pleasure of sharing all the Greater things happening at GNCU. Well, now it’s your turn, our passion is to Help More People Live Greater. On this page, you’ll find messages from real GNCU members on how we helped them Live Greater. I invite you to share your stories of how we helped you live greater with us at gncu.org/Contact/ Feedback. As always, it’s our pleasure to help you live greater!
-Wally Murray, President/CEO
- "GNCU is the best for customer service. They are very competitive on rates for auto loans. They automate, doing everything by phone and computer, which gives them the competitive edge to provide quick turnaround without any hassles. Thank you, Greater Nevada Credit Union, for caring about me! You make a difference." – Beverly B., Member Since 1992
- "The loan process was all handled over the phone and by email. The experience was professional, signing all documents went quickly, and everything was explained to us in detail." – Kari A., Member Since 2011
- "The best loan experience we have ever had." – Mary H., Member Since 2018
Tips from the Experts to Save Time & Money on Your Next Car Loan
By Marcus Wertz, VP Consumer Lending
With low rates, end-of-season inventory sales, brand new models in the showroom, it’s a busy car-buying season. At GNCU, we do more than just help members purchase new vehicles. Our loan consultants are committed to helping members improve their financial well-being by ensuring that each loan is a good fit.
What are some ways we guide members through the process? We help them understand their credit scores and how to improve them when necessary. We get to help them understand how much they can borrow, and look for opportunities to lower their current loan rates or payments. Following are some helpful tips from our consultants:
WAYS TO BOOST YOUR BORROWING
Master your credit score:
Build your score by establishing credit and always making your payments on time. Visit annualcreditreport.com
to view your credit score once a year. Make sure to review it closely, and if you notice an error, contact a Member Resource Representative right away.
Getting pre-approved before you shop will help you better understand your options and give you the power to buy with confidence. Plus, dealers will know you’re serious about purchasing a car.
Refinance and consolidate:
If you already have an auto loan, we may be able to lower your payments by refinancing. With our competitive rates and flexible terms, we save members money every year, sometimes even lowering payments by as much as 50 percent.
Set up auto pay:
Automatic payments help you plan and budget, as well as make sure your payment will be on time.
You’re always welcome to contact our consumer lending team at (855) LIV-GR8R
any time you have questions, suggestions or are ready to get your next loan.
Did you know? Through GNCU’s community service program, employees volunteer an average of 2,800+ hours
each year. Follow us on social media to find out where we’ll be next and how you can get involved!
The following are just some of the ways we’ve helped more people live greater this year.
- GNCU member Larissa and her son were among many lucky members to win tickets and giveaways at Greater Nevada Field.
- Greater Nevada volunteers supported the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life in Fernley this summer.
- At schools and other organizations throughout Nevada, GNCU hosted “Bite of Reality,” a hands-on financial education simulation.
- GNCU volunteers raised funds for the Wolf Pack Marching Band during home football games.
New! I Can Save Account
GNCU's new I Can Save account is designed to help members learn how to save money and establish good saving habits that will help them live greater financially. Qualifiying members* can get started on a greater path to savings and enjoy 5.00% APY* until the account reaches a balance of $1,000. Watch for details coming soon.
*APY=Annual Percentage Yield. 5.00% APY earned on balances less than or equal to $1,000.00 when qualification of one deposit per month is met. Limit one "I Can Save" account per member.
Money Smart(er) Is Just a Click Away
Whether you're looking to teach your kids the basics of budgeting, trying to save for college, planning for retirement or just want to be more confident managing your money, GNCU's online education center offers 40+ interactive video tutorials, 20 calculators and the convenience of watching them any time. Visit gncu.org/Education to learn more!
eBranch: Online Banking Anywhere You Need It
Taking your favorite GNCU branch wherever you go is as easy as signing up for eBranch online banking. You can set up payments and transfers, schedule bill reminders, make loan payments and more.
Need to move money from one GNCU account to another? Or maybe transfer money to your account at another financial institution? Here’s how:
1. Log in to eBranch and click on “Transfer Funds.”
2. Here you can move money between your GNCU accounts, transfer to a friend or family member’s GNCU account or transfer to one of your non-GNCU accounts – all for free!
3. Just pick the type of transfer you need, input the account information and decide whether you want to move money today, pick a date in the future or set up a recurring transfer.
Automate Your Bill Pay
eBranch also lets you schedule automatic payments and set up bill reminders so you never miss a payment.
1. In your eBranch account, pick from 13 categories including rent/mortgage, utilities, credit cards and more.
2. Input the bill information.
3. Decide when and how much to pay.
4. Set up recurring payments, if you choose.
You can even pay loans from GNCU and other companies through eBranch!
If you need to pay back family or friends, and they don’t have a GNCU account, Popmoney® is the way to go. Just head to “Transfer Funds” and then select “Popmoney” to make a quick payment for free!
On the Go?
Make sure to download GNCU’s mobile banking and Cards apps to manage your finances from the convenience of anywhere.
For more tips and tricks, including a video tutorial, head to gncu.org/GNCU-Cards
and click on “How to videos.”
Enjoy Easier Money Management & Added Security with GNCU’s Two Mobile Apps
GNCU’s mobile banking and Cards apps provide quick, easy access to your banking information whenever you need it. And you can rest assured that your information is safe and secure. Data encryption means your personal information is never stored on the apps in case your phone gets lost or stolen.
Using the GNCU Cards App
Following are a few tips to make the most of the new GNCU Cards App, which lets you take greater control of your GNCU Visa debit card.
Manage Travel Notifications
1. Click on “Travel Notices” on the app homepage.
2. Add your destination, departure and return dates. Be sure to include any states you’re stopping at in between.
3. You can also edit or delete plans and double-check any travel plans you have added in the branch or over the phone.
Both GNCU’s mobile banking and Cards apps are free and can help you manage your money anytime, anywhere. Download them from Google Play™
and the Apple® App Store
Coming Soon: GNCU Business App!
To help you and your business deliver greater service to your customers, our new commercial banking app will let you check balances 24/7; view pending transactions; create, approve, cancel and view fund transfers; and more! Watch for more information about the new GNCU business app later this year.
New! eStatements Search Feature
With eBranch you can now quickly and easily search your eStatements to keep a closer eye on your finances. Just open your eStatement and, in the upper right corner, click “Search.” Then search by the withdrawal or deposit amount, check number, description/keyword and/or date to find the entry you’re looking for.
Your Neighborhood Branches
With 15 GNCU branches in northern Nevada
– and more on the way – you have access to personal attention from your local team, plus an expanding network of Interactive Teller Machines (ITMs) for extended banking hours with GNCU’s video member service representatives.
Branches and ATMs Nationwide
When you aren’t down the street from your favorite GNCU branch, you can head into a shared credit union branch to make deposits, loan payments, get printed statements and more. You also have access to fee-free ATMs located across the country. Just look for the CO-OP logo.
Access branch information, plus maps to the nearest GNCU and CO-OP shared branches and ATMs.
You’ll even find links to download the free CO-OP locator app!
Watch for GNCU’s mobile branch – a credit union and ATM on wheels! To find out where the mobile branch is headed next, click here
New! Video Lending
Visit the Eagle Station, Fernley or Spanish Springs branches to use GNCU’s new video lending system and speak directly with a loan consultant during regular branch hours. Watch for more video lending locations coming soon.
Insurance 101: Easy Ways to Save on Home and Auto
A message from Greater Nevada Insurance
Approximately 33% of people never shop around for auto insurance, and almost 50% never price compare their home insurance. If this is you, you could be leaving monthly savings and added protection on the table.
- Shop and compare carriers: Don’t just stick with the same company you’ve had for years. Get a fast, no-obligation insurance quote by calling (775) 886-1967. On average, Greater Nevada Insurance customers save $647* when bundling auto and homeowners insurance!
- Combine policies and consider paying ahead: If you bundle your home and auto or add in other policies, you’ll likely save a few bucks.
- Keep an eye on your credit: You may not realize it, but a good credit score can also help lower your monthly insurance costs.
- For more tips: Check out the blog series by Greater Nevada Insurance agent Brent Cordell at gncu.org/blog.
GNI agent Brent Cordell is here for you and all GNCU members to answer questions, review current policies and advise you on the best coverage. Brent has called Reno- Tahoe home since 1992 and is an active member of the northern Nevada community. Call Brent Cordell at (775) 886-1967
or email email@example.com
for your complimentary insurance review and quote.
*Available insurance products are not deposits of Greater Nevada Credit Union and are not protected by any type of deposit insurance, are not obligations of or guaranteed by Greater Nevada Credit Union or its afﬁliates, and may be subject to risk. Insurance products are not insured or guaranteed by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) or any other agency of the United States. Any insurance required as a condition of the extension of credit by Greater Nevada Credit Union need not be purchased from our Agency but may, without affecting the approval of the application for an extension of credit, be purchased from an agent or insurance company of the customer’s choice. Figure of $647 is a national average savings number from the previous 12 months of auto, homeowner, and packaged policyholders’ savings when compared to the policyholders’ former premiums. Individual premiums and savings will vary.
Got Financial Goals?
Of course, you do! Now it’s time to do something about reaching them – and you don’t have to do it on your own. Greater Nevada Financial Services (GNFS) is here for you. Whether you want to build a home, help your children pay for college, retire early or do something else entirely, we can help.
GNFS offers FREE, no-obligation, in-person consultations with professional financial advisors who are knowledgeable about retirement planning, investment strategies, insurance needs and more. They’ll take the time to explain the options and work with you to chart out a plan for a solid financial future. GNFS also provides complimentary financial seminars on topics like managing debt and overcoming financial challenges.
Advisors are registered representatives offering securities and advisory services through Cetera Advisor Networks LLC, member FINRA/SIPC, a broker/dealer and a Registered Investment Adviser. Cetera is under separate ownership from any other named entity. Registered address: 481 Eagle Station Lane, Carson City, NV 89701/ 6745 Sierra Center Parkway, Reno, NV 89511 /4131 N. Carson Street, Carson City, NV 89706. Investments are not deposits • Not NCUSIF insured • Not insured by any federal government agency • No credit union guarantee • May lose value.
Let’s Make “Home” Happen
No matter how many times you’ve done it, buying a home or deciding to refinance can seem overwhelming. Thankfully, Greater Nevada Mortgage (GNM) has the knowledge, tools and resources to help put you at ease.
- Gain a better understanding of what you can afford and shop with confidence with an online pre-approval.
- Work with someone who truly knows the market. We have local mortgage consultants at GNCU branches and offices throughout Nevada.
- Streamline the buying process and cut back on paperwork with our digital closing options.
- Research your options with a variety of online mortgage calculators.
GNM has received numerous awards in several of their service areas as well as the Customer Service Institute of America’s International Service Excellence Award.
Learn More About Greater Nevada Mortgage
GNM NMLS ID: 279738 | CA ID: 41DBO-61467 Licensed by the Department of Business Oversight under the California Residential Mortgage Lending Act.