Living Greater Member Newsletter
$60,000 in Scholarships Available This Year
Annual Program Expanded to Help More People Live Greater!
Greater Nevada Credit Union has awarded nearly $330,000 in scholarships since 2000. This year we’ve expanded the program to help even more people pursue their undergraduate, technical or trade school education goals:
- Twenty-five $2,000 scholarships will be available to applicants who are a Greater Nevada member, or the child, spouse or parent of a Greater Nevada member. The applicant must be age 24 or younger at the time of application.
- Five $2,000 scholarships will be available for members only who are age 25 or older at the time of application.
Selection criteria will be based primarily on the financial need of the applicant, as well as academic performance, school and community involvement, and written recommendations, and applicants are not limited to attending Nevada schools.
Completed applications must be submitted by March 30, 2018.
From the President
Enhanced Member Value = Living Greater
Just like many organizations, for many years Greater Nevada Credit Union had a mission statement and a vision statement. Over time we realized those statements were simply wordy business clichés that neither resonated with our employees nor provided meaningful direction on how to serve our members and communities. That recognition led to a pretty monumental decision that I’d like to share with you.
About three years ago our team at Greater Nevada decided to move on from the old mission and vision statements and take a fresh approach to focus on what we have been truly passionate about over the decades. That renewed direction quickly led to the development of our Passion Statement “To Help More People Live Greater.” And that shift in thinking also led to an energetic discussion about increasing the value members receive from GNCU.
We knew through ongoing data analysis that our loan rates are excellent, our fees are among the lowest around, and our deposit rates are some of the best available. However, we felt we could still do more and challenged ourselves to do just that: find additional ways to Enhance Member Value. This resulted in some new and unique initiatives, along with the expansion of some other existing programs. And the GREATER news is that we’ve seen members enjoying the benefits of these enhancements, which include:
- Exceptional members-only certificate and loan rates in January 2018 to celebrate GNCU’s anniversary and growing beyond 64,000 members last year.
- The launch of a free, interactive online financial education resource center to provide members with self-guided modules that address a variety of topics ranging from estate planning and credit scores to establishing budgets, borrowing money, and avoiding identity theft.
- Expansion of the GNCU scholarship program that now includes 30 GNCU members each receiving $2,000 to further their educational pursuits.
- Partnering with the driver education program at Western Nevada College so that GNCU members who successfully complete the course can receive funds into their GNCU account to help cover the cost.
- GNCU members-only discounts to athletic events at Greater Nevada Field, home of the Reno Aces baseball team and Reno 1868 FC soccer club. Plus GNCU members have won trips to: a Reno Aces road trip to Nashville, Tennessee, and a trip to Major League Baseball’s spring training in Scottsdale, Arizona.
As we continue pursuing Our Passion, you can expect even GREATER things to come from your credit union… for both members and our communities. So stay in touch with what we’re doing so you don’t miss out. Be sure we have your email address, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and visit GNCU.org regularly to get the latest news and be among the “More People” we help “Live Greater!”
Wishing you all the best,
WALLY MURRAY, PRESIDENT & CEO
Greater Nevada Forms New Commercial Lending Company
Greater Nevada Credit Union (GNCU) recently formed a new company called Greater Commercial Lending (GCL), a wholly owned subsidiary and Credit Union Service Organization (CUSO).
The subsidiary was formed from GNCU’s nationally recognized Commercial Services department and provides expert lending services to businesses not only within Nevada, but across the United States in sectors such as energy, community facilities, industrial, mining, commercial and export lending.
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) named GNCU’s Commercial Services team as its National Lender of the Year for 2016 and 2017, and the Small Business Administration (SBA) awarded them the Community Credit Union Lender of the Year in Nevada in 2016.
For more information about how Greater Nevada Credit Union’s Commercial Services team can help your business grow and succeed, stop by your local branch, visit gncu.org or call (775) 882-2060.
New Eagle Station Branch Now Open!
Your brand new Eagle Station branch is now open at 481 Eagle Station Lane in Carson City. The existing building at 451 Eagle Station Lane will continue to serve as Greater Nevada’s administrative headquarters, while members enjoy greater convenience and service inside the new branch right next door:
- Spacious drive-thru area with Interactive Teller Machines (ITMs) that give you the option to perform standard ATM transactions or speak with a member service representative via video for additional assistance. These ITMs also enable you to cash checks, make loan payments and withdraw specific denominations of money.
- Another ITM located inside the branch, along with a new coin counter that enables members to make deposits directly into their accounts.
- New digital technology and decor inside the branch to get information, make transactions and open new accounts for an even greater experience.
Opening next is GNCU’s new branch across from the University of Nevada, Reno. Stay tuned for more information!
Getting Ready for Polar Plunge
Greater Nevada team members are preparing to take the Special Olympics Nevada Polar Plunge again! Join us this year at any of these locations for a fun time and to support a great cause:
- February 24: Las Vegas Polar Plunge at Caesars Palace
- March 3: Elko Polar Plunge at the Elko Community Pool
- March 17: South Lake Tahoe Polar Plunge at Zephyr Cove
All funds raised from these events will benefit Special Olympics Nevada and our amazing local athletes. For more information, visit sonv.org. To learn more about what Greater Nevada is doing in our communities all year long, visit gncu.org and click on Community Involvement.
GNCU Tools to Protect You from Fraud
Are you taking advantage of all the resources available to you as a Greater Nevada member?
We offer a range of added tools to enhance account security and make your life easier. Get started with:
- Visa® Debit Card Purchase Alerts – Opt in to receive text messages or email alerts when a transaction takes place on your debit card. Go to gncu.org/visa-alerts for set-up instructions.
- Account Alerts – Use online banking to set custom account alerts for automatic notifications of your account activities, such as balance levels and deposits.
- Members Protection Plus – Ask us about this valuable and comprehensive extras program, which provides identity theft insurance with fraud assistance and an ID network safety service.
GET FINANCIAL TIPS & SPECIAL OFFERS | Keep up to date with all the latest and greatest from GNCU:
Your 2018 Board of Directors Candidates
It’s election time at Greater Nevada Credit Union, and this year we have three individuals seeking to fill two available positions on the Board of Directors. Click here to learn more about the candidates and how to caste you vote in the election.
More Savings with Love My Credit Union Rewards
Get a $100 cash reward for every new line when you activate with Sprint®! This exclusive cash rewards offer is our best one EVER! Members get a $100 cash reward for every new line activated with Sprint, and current Sprint customers receive a $50 cash reward for every line transferred into Sprint Credit Union Member Cash Rewards. Plus, get a $50 loyalty cash reward every year for every line. Make the switch today and save with Sprint Credit Union Member Cash Rewards! Visit our Special Offers page for details and to get started.
Protection for Every Roof, Under One Roof
Home means Nevada, and Greater Nevada Insurance means protection for one of your most important assets, whether it’s a house, condo, mobile home or rented property. Keep these tips in mind as you consider what type of coverage is right for you:
- Know your limits. If you have specific assets, such as jewelry, worth more than the standard limits, you should consider insuring these items separately so their entire value is covered.
- Going out of town? If you leave home for extended periods for work or vacation, check the maximum term that applies with your insurer as you may require extra coverage.
- Don’t forget your home office. If you run a business from home, your home office may be uninsured or under insured. Consider a separate business insurance policy for peace of mind.
- Got pets? Not all policies cover property damage done by pets, so if you’re a pet owner, it’s important to find out if your insurance will replace that chewed-up couch.
- Renters need insurance, too. Renters insurance can protect you from theft, property damage due to natural disasters, accidents that occur on the property, lost items while traveling and more.
Get a free, no-obligation quote from Greater Nevada Insurance
by calling (775) 886-1444. On average, members save $665* a year!
*Available insurance products are not deposits of Greater Nevada Credit Union and are not protected by any type of deposit insurance, are not obligations of or guaranteed by Greater Nevada Credit Union or its affiliates and may be subject to risk. Insurance products are not insured or guaranteed by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) or any other agency of the United States. Any insurance required as a condition of the extension of credit by Greater Nevada Credit Union need not be purchased from our Agency but may, without affecting the approval of the application for an extension of credit, be purchased from an agent or insurance company of the customer’s choice. Figure of $665 is a national average savings number from the previous 12 months of auto, homeowner and packaged policyholders’ savings when compared to the policyholders’ former premiums. Individual premiums and savings will vary.
Greater Nevada Field Upcoming Events
Soccer and baseball season at Greater Nevada Field start soon, and as a GNCU member you can enjoy discounts on Reno Aces and Reno 1868 FC tickets, entries into special sweepstakes, and invitations to exclusive events. Click here for more information and the latest updates.