Living Greater Summer Newsletter for GNCU Members
Up to $610 Value for Greater Nevada Members. HELLO HOME.
How about some extra spending money when buying or refinancing your next home? Talk to a Greater Nevada Mortgage consultant about receiving up to $610 in discounts and bonuses* with your new home loan. Greater Nevada Mortgage offers a variety of home loans plus local service to make the process easy and personal:
- First-time homebuyer programs
- Fixed-rate, FHA, USDA, and VA loans
- Adjustable-rate mortgages with more flexibility
- Jumbo loans for higher priced homes
- Easy application process
- Competitive rates and low fees
Ready to find out how we can help you Move to Greater with a loan that fits your needs and receive up to $610 in discounts and bonuses? Call us today at (800) 526-6999 or visit GreaterNevadaMortgage.com.
GNM NMLS ID: 279738 / CA ID: 41DBO-61467
Licensed by the Department of Business Oversight under the California Residential Mortgage Lending Act.
*Up to $610 in discounts and bonuses available to Greater Nevada Credit Union (GNCU) members with Greater Nevada checking accounts for new funded first mortgage loans. $500 discount will be applied toward closing costs at time of loan closing. A $110.00 bonus will be deposited by GNCU into the borrower’s GNCU checking account within 30 days of the loan closing as long as the checking account is in good standing. All loans subject to approval by Greater Nevada Mortgage. Offer subject to change without notice. Cannot be combined with any other offers. For offer details visit GreaterNevadaMortgage.com or speak with a Greater Nevada Mortgage loan consultant. GNCU is Federally Insured by NCUA.
From the President
A Greater Place for Everyone
At Greater Nevada Credit Union and its subsidiaries Greater Nevada Mortgage and Greater Commercial Lending, we have a passion for finding ways “To Help More People Live Greater.” That statement is the reason we exist, and our passion applies to everyone Greater Nevada engages with, including:
- The credit union members we serve
- The homeowners we provide mortgages for
- The business owners we assist with capital and other services
- The numerous Nevada communities we operate in, and
- The nearly 300 people we employ
We continually look for ways to make that passion a reality. Whether it’s introducing new technologies, adding account features, finding ways to keep fees and interest rates low, opening more service channels and locations, supporting community organizations, expanding our financial education programs in schools, or our many other endeavors, the question we always ask ourselves is, “How will it Help More People Live Greater?”
It’s encouraging when Greater Nevada is recognized for ways we deliver on our passion. For example, we were recently named the Best Place to Work in Northern Nevada among extra-large companies by the Northern Nevada Human Resources Association. This is the second consecutive year Greater Nevada has received that honor and just the latest in a long string of various community awards over the years that include Best Local Financial Institution and Best Home Lender. In fact, this spring the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) once again recognized Greater Commercial Lending as its National Lender of the Year!
Though Greater Nevada’s ongoing growth and accolades indicate that we are doing well, the only way we can truly know if we are Helping More People Live Greater is by getting continuous feedback from those we serve. Learning about the impacts we’ve made drives us to do even more, and when we don’t get things entirely right, we strive to resolve any issues in a way that lets those affected know that we truly care.
So if you have any thoughts about how Greater Nevada can “Help More People Live Greater”, please don’t hesitate to share them with us. Your voice really can make a difference!
President & CEO
What GNCU Members are Saying
Providing a greater member experience is something we strive for every day at Greater Nevada Credit Union, and we continuously ask for feedback on how we’re doing. We encourage you to share your comments at gncu.org/Contact/Feedback. The following are just some of the comments we’ve recently received.
“I have been with GNCU for over 30 years. I am now living in Florida and the online banking is the best way to do banking.” - Mark
“I have been a member since the 1990s and have no desire to change. GNCU people have always been helpful with my transactions and loans and in giving guidance.” - Laura
“Every person we came in contact with seemed to go out of their way to be cordial and helpful, while at the same time being professional.” - Nancy
“GNCU made our RV loan so easy and informative that we actually asked: ‘So that’s it, that’s all we have to do?’ The GNCU rep replied: ‘Yep! Go have fun shopping, and let me know!’” - Rod
“As a new resident to Reno, I appreciate all of the friendly assistance I have received. I am so glad that I chose GNCU as my primary ‘bank.’ Thank you to all that have helped me.” - Kari
“Great service. Very friendly and knowledgeable.” - Dennis
Average Savings of More Than $600 per Year!
If you’re looking for quality, affordable insurance, look to Greater Nevada Insurance (GNI). We work with a variety of well known, top-rated insurance companies to help you find the best coverage to fit your needs. The process is easy and quick, with free, no-obligation insurance quotes online or over the phone.
Choose from a full range of coverage for home, renters, business, automobile, recreational vehicle, life, pets and more.
Each policy is designed to meet your individual needs and, on average, Greater Nevada Insurance customers save more than $600 per year.* For your FREE quote and to learn how much you can save, call (775) 886-1444 or visit GreaterNevadaInsurance.com today!
Insurance products are not insured by NCUA or any Federal Government Agency; are not a deposit of, or guaranteed by Greater Nevada Credit Union or any Greater Nevada Credit Union Affiliate; and may lose value. Any insurance required as a condition of the extension of credit by Greater Nevada Credit Union need not be purchased from our Agency but may, without affecting the approval of the application for an extension of credit, be purchased from an agent or insurance company of the customer’s choice. *Average Savings figure is a national average savings number from the previous 12 months of auto, homeowner, and packaged policyholders’ savings per customer when compared to the policyholders’ former premiums. Individual premiums and savings will vary.
Meeting Your Business Banking Needs
Greater Nevada Credit Union commercial services provides the banking products, services, and support you need to improve efficiencies and take greater control of your business finances. Join the more than 2,000 business owners who turn to us for:
- Sensible commercial checking options, including Analyzed checking
- Remote Deposit Capture with a free check scanner*
- Online cash management to originate direct transfers (ACH), initiate wire transfers, detect fraud, and more
- Competitively priced merchant services that enable fast payment collection from almost any device
- A complete line of commercial loans, including SBA, USDA, and business lines of credit
Visit our Commercial Services section or your local GNCU branch to learn more about how Greater Nevada helps more business owners Live Greater.
*Additional conditions apply.
YOUR SUMMER ESCAPE PLAN
Outdoor fun, peace of mind, and comfortable payments.
Dreaming of hitting the road or enjoying days on the water? Greater Nevada Credit Union offers RV loan options* that can help get you there.
- Loans for both new and used recreational vehicles
- Comfortable payment options for boats, motorcycles, trailers, motorhomes, ATVs and more
- Options for additional protection products to keep you covered
The application process is quick and easy: simply call (855) LIV-GR8R before you start shopping. Our experienced lending consultants will help you find the best loan for your needs and get you pre-approved so you can negotiate the best deal.
Need a New Vehicle? Start With AutoSMART.
GNCU’s free AutoSMART service streamlines the process of researching, buying, and financing a car while providing moneysaving benefits. Enjoy exclusive services such as the Preferred Plus Dealer Network, offering pre-negotiated pricing on select vehicles. Once you find the vehicle you want, it’s easy to apply online or by phone. Plus, GNCU offers a variety of loan options* such as conventional, Payment Saver, and First-Time Buyer. Click here to get started today on our Auto loans pages by selecting “Research & Shop.” Or, speak with a GNCU loan consultant by calling (855) LIV-GR8R.
*All loans subject to credit approval by Greater Nevada Credit Union.
Member Exclusives at Greater Nevada Field
GNCU is proud to be the title sponsor of Greater Nevada Field, home to the Reno Aces and Reno 1868 FC. Visit gncu.org/gnf for more information on member exclusives, including:
- Up to a 30% discount on single game tickets for the Reno Aces and Reno 1868 Football Club
- Access to fee-free ATMs at Greater Nevada Field
- Access to exclusive members-only events and contests, such as the Reno 1868 FC VIP Experience Saturday, September 29. Watch for details on how you could win a behind-the-scenes tour of Greater Nevada Field, meet and greet with players and coaches, field access during pre-game warmups, and food vouchers.
Greater Nevada Once Again Named Best Place to Work
Since 2008, Greater Nevada has been recognized as one of the best places to work in the Greater Reno-Tahoe area. This year we’re celebrating another big win, taking home top honors for the second year in a row in the Best Places to Work in Greater Reno-Tahoe Area program – this time in the extra-large (251+ employees) category. The awards are presented to companies who excel in fostering a workplace where employees willingly go above and beyond in their work, advocate for the organization, and intend to stay into the future. Thank you to all Greater Nevada employees for making this award possible.
Stay Money Savvy
When it comes to financial wellness, it’s always time to Live Greater! Here are three ways you can start today at gncu.org.
Visit Greater Nevada’s Financial Education Center. You’ll find free and easy-to-use interactive learning tools with information about auto loans, home mortgages, emergency savings, credit cards, identity protection, insurance, overdraft fees, budgeting, taxes and more.
Check out BALANCE Financial Fitness. Whether your goal is to get out of debt, become a better saver or understand your credit rights, BALANCE provides certified financial counselors to help.
Take advantage of special offers. From vacation packages, rental cars, phone plans and shopping, you’ll find a long list of members-only discounts and special offers. That includes discounts at Greater Nevada Field!
Unlock the Equity in Your Home! Special 2.99% APR* Home Equit y Line of C redit
Do you need funds to pay for a larger expense or consolidate debt? A Greater Nevada Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) leverages the equity in your home (what your home is worth minus what you owe) and provides you with a line of credit that you can tap into when you need it.
- Special 2.99% APR* introductory rate during the first six months, for one of the most affordable lines of credit around. After six months, rates as low as 4.75% APR.**
- Money when you need it. With a Greater Nevada HELOC, you can access your funds when needed and you only pay interest on the money used. Your HELOC can help pay for home improvements, tuition, unexpected expenses, or even to consolidate higher interest rate loans.
- No closing costs on HELOCs up to $250,000.
- Easy application and payment process. Just call (800) 526-6999 to apply, and then set up automatic payments from your Greater Nevada account. You can transfer funds online right into your checking account, and schedule your payments so you never need to worry about making them on time.
Get a Greater Nevada HELOC with rates and benefits that help you make the most of your home’s equity. Call us today at (800) 526-6999 or visit GreaterNevadaMortgage.com to take advantage of this special, limited-time offer.
*APR = Annual Percentage Rate. Introductory rate of 2.99% APR for the first 6 months on qualifying loans with CLTVs up to 80%. After that, the APR can vary and is based on the Prime Rate plus a margin of 0.00% to 5.00% based on borrower credit rating and other qualifications. The APR is subject to change each month, based on changes to the highest Prime Rate published in the Wall Street Journal “Money Rates” table on the 15th of the prior month. **Minimum APR 4.75%, maximum APR 18%. Up to 90% CLTV available with credit lines from $25,000 to $250,000 subject to collateral type and borrower qualifications. $50 annual fee beginning on the first anniversary date. $500 pre-payment penalty if the HELOC is closed within 36 months of origination. Rates, terms and conditions are effective as of today and are subject to change without notice. Loans are available for 1-2 unit, owner-occupied properties in the state of Nevada only. Additional terms and conditions may apply. Greater Nevada Credit Union membership is required prior to loan funding.
Keeping Your Accounts Safe
At Greater Nevada, your financial security is a top priority. Follow these tips for added protection and peace of mind.
If you have any questions or suspect fraud on your account, contact GNCU immediately at (800) 421-6674.
- If you’re planning to travel this summer, call us at (800) 421-6674 before you depart. We’ll put a travel alert on your Visa® debit card to prevent your activity from being flagged as fraudulent.
- NEVER give anyone your Personal Identification Number (PIN). GNCU will not ask for it and no one but you should have it. Also, don’t note it in your wallet or anywhere near your card.
- Check your account statements frequently. The sooner you identify an issue, the sooner we can assist you in resolving it.
- If you are in a public place, don’t use an unsecure Wi-Fi network to log onto your eBranch online banking account. This is a common way for hackers to obtain account information.
- Whenever possible, cover the keypad when you are entering your PIN.
- When using machines that are free-standing (not in a branch), visually inspect the card swipe/insert unit. If it appears to be loose or tampered with, don’t use it.
Banking Options When and Where You Need Them
Did you know that you have a variety of options when it comes to accessing and managing your accounts at Greater Nevada Credit Union? Even when you’re traveling, we’re here for you.
Besides 14 full-service branches in northern Nevada (and more coming soon!) you can also access more than 5,600 shared credit union branches nationwide through the CO-OP Network. Visit gncu.org and click on locations, then shared branches to access the Shared Branch Locator and find your nearest branch.
Another membership benefit is access to more than 30,000 surcharge-free ATMs throughout the United States. Simply look for the CO-OP logo when choosing an ATM, or visit gncu.org, locations, then ATMs to download the ATM Locator App on your iPhone® or Android™ device. For reference, ATM CO-OP logos are shown on page seven in the “At Your Service” section.
To bank by phone, you can use the Phone Activated Teller (P.A.T.) available 24/7. To use P.A.T. you’ll need a personal identification number (PIN), available by calling GNCU member services at (775) 882-2060 or (800) 421-6674. After that, simply call (800) 421-6674, press * and press 1.
Of course, there’s free access to online and mobile banking options available 24/7 as well.
GET FINANCIAL TIPS & SPECIAL OFFERS | Keep up to date with all the latest and greatest from GNCU:
- Sign up for our electronic newsletter at gncu.org/opt-in
- Like us on Facebook.com/GreaterNevadaCU, and follow @Greaternevadacu on Twitter and Instagram
- Visit our blog at gncu.org/blog
- Plus, sign up for text alerts through eBranch online banking to get timely account information
Planning Your Financial Future?
Whatever your need, large or small, the Greater Nevada Financial Services program is here to help you with a variety of insurance and investment needs. Contact one of our Greater Nevada Financial Services representatives for more information.
Gregg W. Lapenta
Joanna Moran, CFP®
Gregg Lapenta and Joanna Moran are registered representatives offering securities and advisory services through Cetera Advisor Networks LLC, member FINRA/SIPC. Registered address: 481 Eagle Station Lane, Carson City, NV 89701 / 6745 Sierra Center Pkwy, Reno, NV 89511. Investments are not deposits; not NCUSIF insured; and not insured by any federal government agency. No credit union guarantee. May lose value.
New Branch Near University of Nevada, Reno Opening Soon
Greater Nevada Credit Union has a long-standing relationship with the University of Nevada, Reno. That includes raising funds for the Wolf Pack Marching Band, sponsoring the Nevada Money Mentors program, and supporting Wolf Pack Sports. We also offer GNCU members access to a fee-free ATM inside the Joe Crowley Student Union building. And now we’re getting ready to open our newest branch, right across from campus at 1385 North Virginia Street inside the Towers at Pink Hill student housing building.
Slated to open later this summer, the branch will offer University students, staff, faculty and community members convenient access and the latest in banking options, such as an interactive teller machine. Watch for more information, including our grand opening celebration.
Free Online and Mobile Banking – Anywhere, Anytime!
Your time is valuable, and Greater Nevada Credit Union’s eBranch free online and mobile banking tools help make it easier and faster to manage your accounts. From monitoring balances and paying bills to transferring funds and depositing checks, you can do it all at your convenience 24/7.
- Set up custom account alerts to get notified when funds go in and out of your accounts and when balances hit a pre-defined limit.
- Use Popmoney® to securely request, receive and send money person-to-person or even to donate to your favorite charity.
- Let automatic bill pay take care of recurring expenses to avoid late payments.
- Use Mobile Touch ID to sign in to your account with fingerprint recognition.
- Set up one-time and reoccurring internal and external account transfers.
To get started, enroll in Greater Nevada eBranch at gncu.org. Once you’re enrolled, you can download and install the mobile banking app from Google Play or the Apple® App Store. For additional help and tips, you can view GNCU’s online tutorials or speak with a member service representative. For assistance in setting up your eBranch online and mobile banking, call (800) 421-6674 or click here to learn more.
$56,000 in Scholarships Awarded
Over the past 18 years, GNCU has provided more than $320,000 in scholarships to members and their families. This year, the program was expanded to help even more people pursue their educational goals with a new category for adult students, and 28 students in total were selected to receive $2,000 each. Click here to learn more about GNCU’s annual scholarship program, including this year’s recipients.