About Our University Branch
GNCU's University branch is located at 1385 N. Virginia Street, Suite 105, inside a mixed-use student housing unit. Members can enjoy personal service from GNCU's staff, and several who are current or former University of Nevada, Reno students, and even meeting space. The branch also features 24/7 secure access to a vestibule with an Interactive Teller Machine (ITM), which operates as both an ATM, as well as a video teller for conducting transactions face-to-face during extended hours. Click here to view full details about the GNCU University branch hours and location.
Supporting the NevadaFIT Program
Beginning the journey for a college degree can be a daunting task. Moving out from childhood homes, meeting new people and taking on fresh responsibilities are a lot to handle for college freshmen. That's why we've partnered with the University of Nevada, Reno's NevadaFIT program to give incoming freshmen the foundations they need to be successful at the university.
NevadaFIT is a one-credit, academic program for first-year students designed to help ease the transition from high school to college. The NevadaFIT program brings more than 3,500 new students and about 500 student mentors to campus the week before the fall semester begins. NevadaFIT spans nine colleges and schools and more than 40 majors. Working in “Packs” of six to seven students led by an undergraduate mentor, students focus on academic readiness and skills to be successful college students, become acquainted with faculty, form study groups, live on campus and experience immersion into the campus community. This strategy has been proven to give students a sense of belonging and increases retention and graduation rates for all participants, including Pell-eligible, first-generation and minority students. Since its inception in 2013, NevadaFIT has helped increase the University’s average one-year retention rate by seven to ten percent.
“Beginning college is just one aspect of an individual’s learning journey,” said Wally Murray, president and CEO of Greater Nevada Credit Union. “We want to ensure that students from diverse backgrounds are best prepared to pursue their degrees and careers. We will also be supporting NevadaFIT’s efforts by providing financial literacy courses during the program. Greater Nevada wants all students to begin with a solid foundation, with opportunities to make the best decisions and accelerate their future success.”
"Expanded support from Nevada business leaders like Greater Nevada Credit Union helps make higher education more accessible and successful for all students," said university president Brian Sandoval. "We strive to educate and graduate the best-prepared and most confident leaders, and it all starts with our students’ experience in the NevadaFIT program.”
A Greater Partnership with the Wolf Pack Marching Band
Since 2012, Greater Nevada Credit Union (GNCU) has partnered with the University of Nevada Wolf Pack Marching Band to raise funds to help with the band’s needs for instruments, scholarships, travel and other expenses. Since 2012, we have supported this partnership with $346,000 to the band, and helped them grow from 120 to 190 members.
Donations are accepted year-round at all Greater Nevada Credit Union branches, at the credit union’s booth during Wolf Pack football and basketball home games, and on the band's donation webpage. The Band also joins GNCU each year to raise awareness of Special Olympics Nevada through a Polar Plunge pancake eating contest and fundraiser.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, everything changed for the band: Rehearsals were broken down into sections for social distancing, and the roaring crowds at live performances were replaced with empty stadium seats. But our support of the band never wavered. Watch this video for the story of our commitment to the band, even through one of their most challenging years.
Recent University of Nevada, Reno Partnerships
- NevadaFIT program (2021-22) - $150,000
- NV Money Mentors (2017-2021) - $30,000
- TedXUniversityofNevada (2018-2020) - $30,000
- UNR College of Business (2019-2021) - $35,000
- Wolf Pack Athletics/Wolfpack Sports (2012-2021) - $455,000
Since 2015, we have also supported these initiatives with monetary and other gifts:
- Pack Provisions
- New Student Initiatives
- First in the Pack
- University Libraries
- College of Education/Dean's Future Scholars
- University Staff Employee Council
Total commitment since 2012: Over $1,050,000
Greater Nevada team members have also donated more than 2,300 hours to support initiatives on campus and in the community.
Free Student Financial Education
We are an official sponsor of the University's Money Mentors Program. The sponsorship assists in providing more students with financial education through workshops, presentations and personal coaching on topics such as budgeting, debt management, salary negotiation and avoiding identity theft. If you're a current student at the University, then click here to learn more and schedule your free appointment.
Students and members alike also have free access to a series of interactive online modules covering hot financial topics like saving, borrowing money, building credit, budgeting, and identity protection through Greater Nevada’s Financial Education Center.
Greater Benefits for all Nevada Students
Student Checking and Loan Options
- With our free Student Cash Back Checking* account, there's no minimum balance requirement, no monthly service charge, and it's easy to qualify for $10 cash back each month*. The account also comes with free online and mobile banking.
Apply for a Student Cash Back Checking Account Today!
- We also offer student loans. Whether you’re looking to obtain a new student loan** or consolidate an existing one into a lower payment, we make the process easy and manageable, giving you more to celebrate when you graduate.
Apply for a Student Loan
- We also offer the Smart Option Student Loan by Sallie Mae which gives students multiple in-school repayment options with a choice of competitive fixed and variable interest rates, plus no origination fees and no prepayment penalty. Learn more here.
- Students who need to purchase their first car or a newer car can apply for our first time buyer program which enables qualifying students with no credit history to get a vehicle loan and build their credit without a co-borrower or guarantor. (Other credit qualifications apply, and all loans are subject to credit approval by Greater Nevada.)
- In addition, we award thousands of dollars in scholarships annually. Students can check back each February through March to download an application for the coming school year. Learn more here.
Ready to open your own GNCU account and start Living Greater? Click here to get started.
*For Student Cash Back Checking, in order to receive up to $10 in cash back monthly based on 1% cash back on all signature and pin based swipes on the first $1,000 in point of sales transactions per month, the monthly qualifications are 6 debit card purchases must post and clear and account statements must be delivered via eStatements. "Qualification Cycle" means a period beginning one day prior to the first of the month and ending one day prior to the last day of the month (ex. July 31-August 30 for August statement). iTunes® , Amazon.com®, and Google Play™ are not affiliated with this account. Membership requirements apply. Available to personal accounts only.
**All loans are subject to credit approval by Greater Nevada Credit Union.