student loans

Student Loans

Invest in a Greater Future

From new loans to existing loan refinancing, Greater Nevada Credit Union helps students fund their educations for brighter futures. Apply online or contact us to learn more about private student loans.

Student Loans for Nevadans

Bachelor degrees, professional certificates, licenses–education comes in all shapes and forms. A little can go a long way, especially when it comes to personal enrichment and earning potential. It all begins with student loans: funding to help students attend a school or program.

There are two types of student loans: federal and private. Federal student loans are money borrowed from the government, while private loans are money borrowed from a private source–usually a financial institution. At Greater Nevada, you can borrow directly from us with a private loan, or we can help you apply for a Sallie Mae® loan.

calculator icon
Low Minimum for Educational Pursuits

Student loans start at $2,500 minimum, and you can borrow up to 100% of your education costs.

percentage icon
Low Rates & Flexible Terms

Explore flexible loan rates and terms up to 180 months for monthly payments that fit your budget.

checkmark icon
No Hidden Fees

Save money with no origination or early repayment fees.

money icon
Consolidate or Refinance Existing Loans

Looking to lower your interest rate? Lower your monthly payments? Both? Ask about consolidating or refinancing your existing student loans.

apply icon
Easy Application Process

Easily apply online or over the phone through our lending hotline, plus enjoy fast approvals and local service.

trophy icon
Free Student Cash Back Checking Available

Students ages 14 – 24 years old are eligible to open a Student Cash Back Checking account, with no fees and the ability to earn cash back on everyday purchases.

Apply for Educational Funds Today

Set a course for higher education with help from a local loan expert, or you can begin by applying online. Greater Nevada is here to help you achieve your financial and educational goals!

credit union student loans

Sallie Mae® Student Loans1

Greater Nevada can also help you apply for private loans through Sallie Mae®, with products for undergraduates (Smart Option Student Loans®), graduate students (multiple options), and after graduate school (multiple options).

Why go with Sallie Mae®? Here are just a few of the benefits:

  • Competitive variable and fixed rates
  • Multiple repayment options
  • No origination fees
  • No prepayment penalties

Student Loan Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Set yourself up for success with these commonly asked questions and their answers about student loans. Need more detailed information? Feel free to contact us directly.

Who is eligible for student loans?

plus sign icon

In general, students who intend to enroll in post-secondary education programs or schools are eligible for student loans. This includes undergraduate and graduate programs, professional career training programs, technical schools, and accredited vocational schools.

Requirements vary by financial institution, program, and borrower. At Greater Nevada, borrowers will also be required to qualify for membership, which is open to anyone living or working in Nevada’s 17 counties, or anyone immediately related to someone who does.

What’s the difference between a bank student loan and a credit union student loan?

plus sign icon

Both banks and credit unions offer student loans. At Greater Nevada, however, we offer student loans plus more: more personalized service, and more perks for students (like our free Student Cash Back Checking account, which rewards you for everyday purchases when qualifications are met. We strive to be your partners in financial wellness at the many different stages of life and offer plenty more free resources to help you Live Greater.

Can I get a student loan if I’m enrolled part-time?

plus sign icon

Full-time students aren’t the only applicants eligible to borrow for their education. Part-time students are eligible for student loans, too–as long as the funds go toward educational expenses only.

How do I add a co-signer to my loan?

plus sign icon

Including a co-signer to a student loan is very typical as most students may not have a strong credit history to get the best rate possible, or get approved for a higher amount to borrow. You can include information for a co-signer during the application process.

Can I refinance my existing student loan through GNCU?

plus sign icon

Greater Nevada proudly refinances student loans. Let us help you look for a lower interest rate and better terms (and ideally lower your monthly payments).

What Can Student Loans Fund?

Not only can student loans be used to pay for traditional colleges and universities, they can also be used to pay for graduate school, trade schools, and continuing education needs.

Student loans can also be used to pay for educational expenses like textbooks, as well as supplies and resources that are required for your program.

You can also use your student loan from Greater Nevada to consolidate your existing student loans and potentially secure a lower interest rate.

As a private lender, Greater Nevada can help you refinance your student loans. By doing so, you may be able to lower your monthly payments.

Apply for a Student Loan Today

Take the first step toward a brighter future, whether it’s for yourself or your child. Applying is easy whether you do it online or over the phone.

1 These loans are made by Sallie Mae Bank or a lender partner. Greater Nevada Credit Union is not the creditor for these loans and is compensated by Sallie Mae for the referral of loan customers. This information is for borrowers attending degree-granting institutions only. You must be attending or have attended a participating school located in the U.S. during an eligible prior enrollment period. You must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident or a Non-U.S. citizen borrower with a creditworthy cosigner (who must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident) and required U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) documentation. U.S. citizens and permanent residents enrolled in eligible study abroad programs or who are attending or have attended schools located outside the U.S. are also eligible. For the Dental School Loan, Law School Loan, MBA Loan, and Medical School Loan, students must be enrolling in a graduate-level degree program in a field of study that is eligible for the loan and Graduate Certificate/Continuing Education coursework is not eligible. Applications are subject to a requested minimum loan amount of $1,000. Current credit and other eligibility criteria apply.

© 2023 Sallie Mae Bank. All rights reserved. Sallie Mae, the Sallie Mae logo, and other Sallie Mae names and logos are service marks or registered service marks of Sallie Mae Bank or its subsidiaries. All other names and logos used are the trademarks or service marks of their respective owners. SLM Corporation and its subsidiaries, including Sallie Mae Bank, are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America.